On August 28, Karl Schmitt, PhD, an assistant professor in the department of mathematics and statistics at Valparaiso University, attended the webinar Data Science Education in Traditional Contexts, hosted by the South Big Data Innovation Hub as part of its Keeping Data Science Broad: Bridging the Data Divide series. The webinar featured five speakers, including Schmitt, who is also the director of data sciences at Valparaiso. Each speaker talked about their own programs and experiences in data science education as well as some of the challenges involved in creating and implementing educational programs in a field that is still very new and in the process of being defined.
The speakers in order of appearance were: challenges
- Paul Anderson, College of Charleston
- Mary Rudis, Great Bay Community College
- Karl Schmitt, Valparaiso University
- Pei Xu, Auburn University
- Herman “Gene” Ray, Kennesaw State University